10 magic tips to keep your computer running smoothly
We’re running a piece in this month’s In Business magazine from the Oxford Times. Called ’10 magic tips to keep your computer running smoothly’ it offers five things to do regularly to keep your computer happy, and five things to try before you call IT Support.
Here they are:
Five things to do regularly to keep your computer happy
- Empty your Recycle Bin on the desktop. It’s easy to forget it’s only a halfway stop and leave hundreds of deleted documents in there to clog up your system.
- Clean up all your email folders and empty your Deleted Items folder. Consider setting up auto archive for old emails.
- Clean up your desktop. Just having fewer items on it can make your computer run faster.
- Delete your browser history.
- Delete unwanted programs and don’t keep any more programs running than you really need. Too many open programs can slow down your computer.
Five things to try before you call IT Support
- Turn the computer o ff and on again. We know it’s a joke but it really can work! Your computer does things as it turns on to ensure that everything is ready to work.
- Check that everything is plugged in properly including your mouse, screen and keyboard. Check that all the wall sockets are switched on.
- Ask your colleagues if they have the same problem. This can help distinguish between an individual problem and a system problem.
- Ask yourself: what’s changed? Did you download a dodgy file? Are you using a program you’ve never used before?
- Try closing the programme you are currently using and then open it up again. This can be especially effective with MS Outlook.
You can download the whole article here.